Benedict Canyon was originally a part of Rancho de las Aguas (“Ranch of the Waters”) and was named by Edson A. Benedict, a storekeeper and native of Missouri who in 1868 took a homestead in the Canyon. Benedict Canyon is known for still having most of its original canyon terrain and wildlife intact. The Benedict Canyon Association (BCA), started in 1948, is an example of strong Beverly Hills neighborhood activism. The BCA is dedicated to preserving the beauty, safety, environment and quality of life in the Canyon. Because of their early efforts, Benedict Canyon remains the only Canyon that is 100% residential.
Benedict Canyon represents some of the most exclusive homes in Beverly Hills. Benedict Canyon connects Sherman Oaks to Beverly Hills from its high point at the crest line on Mulholland Drive and ends near the junction of Sunset Boulevard where the famous Beverly Hills Hotel is located. Parallel and to the east of the Canyon are its two sisters, Franklin Canyon and Coldwater Canyons occupying Beverly Hills Post Office (B.H.P.O.).