Colfax Meadows is one of Studio City’s original and highly sought after neighborhoods. It is just north of Ventura Blvd to Moorpark St in the ‘Flats’ area, running west of Tujunga Ave to Colfax Ave.
Colfax Meadows, a large parcel of rural land, was first developed in the 1920's and named after Schuyler Colfax, vice president under President Ulysses S Grant from 1869 to 1873. In the 1930's, Republic Pictures "now the CBS Studio Center" moved in, attracting Hollywood stars to the area. Clark Gable and Leonardo DiCaprio owned homes here at one time.
Colfax Meadows original boundaries are defined by Acama St on the north, the Los Angeles River on the south, Beck Ave on the east and Colfax Avenue on the west. Today, the northern boundary of Colfax Meadows is touted as Moorpark Street, and the eastern border is considered Tujunga Avenue.
There is one discernible difference, however, between homes in the original Colfax Meadows and the extended neighborhood: The original neighborhood still has no sidewalks along the streets, which are bordered by abundant sycamore, palm and orange trees. The sprawling ranch-style homes built in the 1930s dominate the older section, but the lots, which run as large as 24,000 square feet, have been gradually pared down.
Colfax Meadows was also named Los Angeles Magazine 10 Best Neighborhoods You’ve Never Heard Of.