Victor Heights is a small hillside neighborhood east of Echo Park proper, northeast of Angelino Heights, southwest of Elysian Park and northwest of Chinatown.
A little Victor Heights history... In the 1860s, the Canadian brothers Prudent and Victor Beaudry bought land in and around the French Town section, a historic neighborhood centered around Alameda and Aliso streets whose existence today is mainly seen in street names like Bauchet, Ducommun, and Vignes. Beaudry went on to increase his fortunes in silver mines and simultaneously earned the nickname the “water king” as he developed water transportation systems for both mines and in town. After the mines began to prove less profitable, Victor moved to Montreal in 1876 where he married Angelica Le Blanc. The couple and their family moved back to Los Angeles in 1881 where he remained until 1886.
In Los Angeles, the Beaudry brothers built a water reservoir in the Elysian Hills and used it to hydrate their properties there including Bunker Hill (subdivided in 1876), and what would become Angeleno Heights and Victor Heights. To make their properties more appealing to potential homebuyers, the Beaudrys created two parks, Bellevue Terrace and Beaudry Park. Beaudry Park was a 7.4 acre oval property designed by landscape architect/gardener Francis Tamiet and included many Mexican limes, gums, cypresses, oranges, and Monterey pines.
Victor Heights is named after Victor Beaudry as well as Victor Street, a short two block span between Temple Street and Bellevue Ave that is bisected by the 101 Freeway.