Nichols Canyon is an area in the Central Hollywood Hills. It begins at Hollywood Blvd on its south end and winds its way north into the hills below Mulholland Drive. Nichols Canyon has a natural, year-round, spring-fed creek and waterfall over 100’ high, and several natural and man-made small water falls. They are among the many natural waterfalls in the streams of the Santa Monica Mountains, which run through the City of Los Angeles. The stream that flows through the bottom of Nichols Canyon attracts coyotes, frogs, deer, raccoons, skunks, rabbits and other wildlife. Hawks can often be seen circling the area as well. Home to many celebrities throughout the years, Nichols Canyon is a favorite jogging and cyclist road.
Nichols Canyon was named after John G. Nichols who served as mayor of Los Angeles, California between 1852 and 1853 and again from 1856 to 1859. He was a businessman and a builder who lived in the first brick house to be built in Los Angeles, and he was the first mayor to expand the city. In 1851 his son, John Gregg Nichols, was the first Anglo American to be born in the city.
In the early days, approximately 3/4 mile up the canyon, was a small sales office with an old western type porch and roof overhang where canyon children would gather to play in the stream and make forts in the native sycamore, oak, sumac, sage, yucca and laurel. It is now known as "Rick E Lake", named after the current owner, Rick Ambrose. The property features 150 ft of waterfront on a year-round stream with four waterfalls. Prior to being converted into a residence, the structure served as the real estate office for the Nichols Canyon development (1941).
The streets in and around Nichols Canyon Include; Bantam Pl, Carob Dr, Castair Dr, Chandelle Pl, Chandelle Rd, Courtney Ave, Courtney Ter, Del Zuro Dr, Devista Dr, Devista Pl, W Dresden Dr, Floye Dr, Jalmia Dr, Jalmia Way, Jet Pl, Kimdale Ln, La Cuestra Dr, Lisco Pl, Lolina Ln, Nichols Canyon Pl, Nichols Canyon Rd, Solar Dr, Sunnywood Ln, Willow Glen Rd & Zorada Dr.