Crestview is a neighborhood in Mid-City bounded by Pickford Street on the north, Sawyer Street on the south, Robertson Boulevard on the west, and La Cienega Boulevard on the east. Beverlywood is located to the west, Castle Heights is located to the southwest, La Cienega Heights is located to the south, Pico-Robertson is located to the north and Faircrest Heights is located to the east.
Crestview is comprised of 740 homes most of which were built in the 1930’s and 1940’s by developer Elwain Steinkampand William T. Richardson. Their signature stained glass windows set them apart as traditional Spanish-Mexican style homes.
Crestview was originally serviced by the Pacific Electric Railway company back in the early part of the 19th century. The Venice Short Line was a popular train which took residents to Venice and Santa Monica from the La Cienega / Venice stop. Pacific Electric built a bridge for the train to circumvent the swampy areas during the rainy seasons, for this reason the street was named “La Cienega,” which means “the swamp” in Spanish. In September of 1950 the railway company was pushed out of business by the new invention of the bus system and Pacific Electric was forced to shut down. After 13 years of abandonment, the bridge was ultimately demolished, as new developments for the Santa Monica Freeway began.
This friendly community offers close proximity to numerous shopping destinations, schools, freeways and the beach.