Hollywood Heights is a neighborhood in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles, bounded by the Hollywood Bowl on the north, Highland Avenue on the east, Outpost Estates on the west, and Franklin Avenue on the south. It includes a number of notable historic homes and buildings and has been home to numerous people in the film and music industries, dating back to the silent film era.
The Samuel Freeman House (1962 Glencoe Way) was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, supervised by Lloyd Wright, and furnished and expanded by Rudolph Schindler. Built in 1923, it is one of four textile block houses built by Frank Lloyd Wright in Los Angeles between 1922 and 1924, and it has the world's first glass-to-glass corner windows. It was known as an avant-garde salon, and the list of individuals who spent significant periods of time there or lived in the house's two Schindler-designed apartments includes John Bovingdon, Beniamino Bufano, Xavier Cugat, Rudi Gernreich, Martha Graham, Philip Johnson, Peter Krasnow, Bella Lewitzky, Jean Negulesco, Richard Neutra, Claude Rains, Herman Sachs, Galka Scheyer, Edward Weston, Olga Zacsek, and Fritz Zwicky. It also served as an intellectual sanctuary for individuals blacklisted by the House Un-American Activities Committee. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The High Tower (2178 High Tower Drive) is a five-story, private elevator built circa 1920 in the style of a Bolognese campanile. It provides access to a Streamline Moderne fourplex known as High Tower Court, built circa 1937. Architect Carl Kay designed both. The High Tower was featured in The Long Goodbye, The High Window, and Dead Again, as well as Michael Connelly's novels Echo Park and The Closers. It also leads to the Alta Loma Terrace neighborhood, which includes the Otto Bollman House – Lloyd Wright's first project, built in 1922 – and the B.A.G. Fuller House (6887 W. Alta Loma Terrace), which is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
The Yamashiro Historic District (1999 Sycamore Avenue) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and consists of nine buildings, including the Yamashiro restaurant. It was built between 1911 and 1914 as a residence by two brothers, Adolph and Eugene Bernheimer, and is said to be a replica of a 17th-century palace in Yamashiro Province in Japan. It has a 600-year-old pagoda imported from Japan. Many films and television shows have been filmed here, including Memoirs of a Geisha and Sayonara. Richard Pryor, Pernell Roberts, Joe Flynn, and Jerry Dunphy lived in apartments on the grounds.
The Magic Castle (7001 Franklin Avenue) is a private nightclub for magicians and magic enthusiasts. It is the premier venue for magic in the United States and is the clubhouse for the Academy of Magical Arts. Originally constructed in 1909 as a châteauesque mansion for banker, real estate developer, and philanthropist Rollin B. Lane, it is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.
Highland-Camrose Bungalow Village (2103 N. Highland Avenue) is on the National Register of Historic Places. The Eagles' Don Henley and Bernie Leadon wrote "Witchy Woman" in a bungalow here shared by Linda Ronstadt and J. D. Souther.
The Villa Bonita (1817 Hillcrest Road) is a Spanish Colonial Revival-style apartment building designed by architect Frank Webster and built in 1929. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. Residents have included Emma Dunn, Lois Collier, Ethelind Terry, Carl Held, Sarah Marshall, Billy Wirth, and Jim Thompson.
Hollywood United Methodist Church (6817 Franklin Avenue) was designed by Thomas P. Barber and built from 1927 to 1930. It is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. It is built on land that includes the location of William C. deMille and daughter Agnes de Mille's first home in Hollywood.
American Legion Post 43 (2035 N. Highland Avenue) is a distinctive example of Egyptian Revival and Moroccan Art Deco architecture. Designed by Weston & Weston architects and completed in 1929, the building is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. Its members have included Gene Autry, Clark Gable, and Ronald Reagan. It served as the venue for Los Angeles' longest-running play, Tamara, from 1984 to 1993.
Las Orchidas Apartments (1903 N. Orchid Avenue) were built in 1929 and are an example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. A Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument, its residents have included Wilfred Buckland, Ellen Burstyn, Ray Heindorf, Arthur Lange, and Robert Vaughn.
The DeKeyser Duplex (1911 N. Highland Avenue) was designed by Rudolph Schindler and completed in 1935.
The Abraham Koosis House (1941 Glencoe Way) was designed by Raphael Soriano and completed in 1940.
Koning Eizenberg's Hollywood Duplex (6947 and 6949 Camrose Drive) was built in 1990.
The End of the Road (2042 Pinehurst Road) is the name Carrie Jacobs-Bond gave to her home and was the title of her final book of poetry, published in 1940.
The Franklin Garden Apartments (6917-6933 Franklin Avenue) were an example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Built in 1920, they became a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument on June 7, 1978, but were demolished on July 1, 1978, to expand the Magic Castle's parking lot.
The Shrader House (1927 N. Highland Avenue) was another example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. Designed by Mead & Requa and built about 1915, it a committee of architects representing the American Institute of Architects selected it as one of the best small houses in Los Angeles; in its February 1920 issue, House Beautiful magazine called it one of the three best homes in Los Angeles.